Welcome to our weekly podcast with longtime Anchorage Daily News garden writer and author Jeff Lowenfels and co-host Jonathan White. Think of it as a companion to Jeff’s weekly columns and his popular series of books.
As southcentral Alaska endures its first snow storm of the season, the guys talk about a variety of indoor lighting systems to help your plants thrive during the winter months. Also, did you know that snow has a little bit of nitrogen in it (poor man’s fertilizer)!?
Other topics include indoor hydroponic gardening systems, as well as what to look for when purchasing LED lights.
As always, Jeff and Jonathan wrap up the episode by answering some listener questions.
Have a question? Ask Jeff and Jonathan at [email protected]
Hosts: Jeff Lowenfels and Jonathan White. Produced by Evan Phillips.
This podcast is a collaboration between the hosts and Anchorage Daily News.
Feedback: [email protected]
Read Lowenfels’ weekly columns on gardening and growing at ADN.com.
Read Jeff’s books: “Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to the Soil Food Web,” “Teaming with Nutrients: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to Optimizing Plant Nutrition,” “Teaming with Fungi: The Organic Grower’s Guide to Mycorrhizae,” among others.
• • •
Listen to previous episodes:
- Save 30% on the sustainable Ingarden Ocean
- Kansas City hydroponic farm growing in the East Bottoms
- Hydroponics, swine barn and more drive hands-on agriculture education
- Backyard gardener in Zambales discovers hydroponics as the perfect farming method for people with disabilities
- Scarborough's 5n2 has fought food insecurity with dignity for 10 years | Opinion