ENGLEWOOD — After developers of a South Side “village” of container homes announced last week their project was “paused” for now, city officials said the permit application to build the homes has been void for months.
Developers Darryl Burton and Anthony Casboni first shared plans in summer 2022 to build Vincennes Village. The 12 single-family, two-story homes built from 40-foot-long shipping containers would be the first of their kind within city limits, developers previously said.
Burton and Casboni initially hoped to have families move into Vincennes Village by Christmas 2022, the developers previously told Block Club Chicago. By December 2022, the project was delayed to “the first quarter of 2023” but was “still a go,” developers said at the time.
“We’re just waiting on the city to give us that ‘Yes,’” Burton told Block Club on Dec. 20.
Then, last week, Burton said plans to build the homes were “paused as of now” while the developers chased a “shovel ready” project in south suburban Ford Heights — and two days later, city officials said the permit submitted to the city’s Buildings Department to construct Vincennes Village has actually been void for months.
The developers “submitted a single permit application for one residential building” at 7231 S. Vincennes Ave., said Matthew Beaudet, commissioner at the Chicago Department of Buildings. To build the dozen container homes, the developers would have had to submit a permit application for each building, Beaudet said.
On Dec. 17, the developers “received architectural and structural corrections” from the buildings department for the submitted permit, Beaudet said. The corrections “dealt with the technical provisions of the code, and also the requirement for completed material