Cedar Hill Fire puts out shed fire Dec. 15 | Police Fire

An unattended brush fire resulted in a shed being destroyed in Cedar Hill on Dec. 15. Cedar Hill Fire Protection Chief Mick Fischer said firefighters were dispatched to extinguish a 10-by-10-foot shed in the 7500 block of Riffle Island.

“The shed was a total loss,” he said. “He went inside to get something and when he came back out that fire made it to the shed. The wind caught the fire.”

Fischer said the homeowner was in the process of moving out of the property and did not have anything in the shed. No one was injured because of the fire, and the house was not damaged.

Cedar Hill Fire was dispatched to the fire at 7:27 p.m. and it was put out completely by 8:41 p.m.

“The homeowner was outside spraying it with a hose (when fire crews arrived),” Fischer said. “It’s fortunate the fire went to his shed and not his house.”

Fischer said Missouri is experiencing a drought and high winds and dry conditions make controlled burns dangerous, he said.

“It takes just a little bit of wind for a fire to get away really quickly,” Fischer said. “If you start a fire and it turns onto your neighbor’s property, you’re responsible for that. You’re responsible for whatever may occur from the fire that you start. Just be aware of the risk.”

High Ridge Fire Protection District and Big River Ambulance assisted.

Read the rest